Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Inevitable Dry Spell.

The Inevitable Dry Spell.

I like to think of myself as a creative person. I am part of the creative team at Common Ground, and I make really low-quality (but still funny) videos in that role. I also come up with silly things to do on Sunday mornings. outside church, I like to write music and poems and essays and whatever else strikes my fancy. However, I often find myself in dry spells, or in the throes of writers' block.

My spiritual side sometimes feels that way, too. Sometimes I am very in tune with what God wants from me (or at least I feel like I am), and sometimes I feel like I am going through the motions. My faith doesn't flag, but my passion is dryer. But, what's crazy is that I just keep going.

When it comes to writing, if I have writers' block, I keep writing. When it comes to serving, if I feel disconnected or dry, I just keep serving. And inevitably, the dry feeling goes away. EVERY TIME.

I'm currently feeling some writers' block, hence the long absence from blogging, but I'm just writing to write, and starting this post with no agenda, I now know to add one more thing to my considerable list of things to teach about and that's even though your passion may flag, God's does not, so if you keep serving, you will encounter him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me too dude. Jess and I are in a strange time. My internship with Momentum was up in October. I've been staying at home with Caleb since then. It's been great and I've enjoyed staying at home with him, but it's been tough too. I enjoy being with people and really loved working for Mo, so it's been tough.

Also, Jess and I are considering being a part of a second church plant coming up here soon. It's about 20 miles down the road. I think I told you guys about it. I would come on as small groups guy. And he is passionate about me going to start another church sooner than later.

Well, there's a lot of things about that that we're unsure about. I'm thinking about that today and we're meeting with the lead planter on Sunday. It's a tough decision. Jess and I were saying that often with God you can kind of get a pulse on the direction the river of life is flowing and then just jump on and enjoy the ride. That's how we ended up in Cleveland. I don't think we even know where the river is right now. So, if you think about it, pray for us. Strange time, big decision.