Thursday, August 30, 2007

Some Dudes.

You can't start a church with just some dudes. I mean, you probably could, but it probably won't turn out right and in all liklihood, the church will just end up another statistic in the "failed church plant" column. Just some dudes are going to cause frustration, no matter how organized they are unless they have "heard" the voice of God and taken the time to think things through.

Have you seen the "you think of everything" commercials for Smirnoff Ice? Some dudes are at a poolside bar, and in one of the commercials, a gigantic catapult is in the background containing a equally gigantic tennis ball. Dude 1 says, "What's with the catapult?" Suddenly a HUGE dog steps over the fence and sweeps a person up in its mouth. Dude 2 hits a button and the catapult launches the tennis ball. The dog drops the person in the pool and chases the ball. Clearly, Dude 2 thinks of EVERYTHING.

The Boy Scouts taught me a thing or two before I got "too cool" for them. The Boy Scouts' motto is "Be Prepared." My wife sometimes jokes me about my desire for preparedness. I LOVE sponteneity, but I want to be prepared for it. I want to have back-ups and people who can take care of my dogs if I want to hit the road out of the blue.

So...Let me advance the situation. Eventually some dudes are going to listen carefully and hear the calling God has placed on their life. This kind of falls into the Tension category from the blog below. How do you prepare for a church while still leaving space for the Holy Spirit to move?

Let's be honest. No dudes can prepare for every eventuality, but a lot of us will try to control everything. How does this work in an environment where God is supposed to be in control?

When some dudes try to control every aspect of the church and sanitize things, what will people think? I've seen first-hand peoples' reactions to a church that makes no bones about life being easy with Jesus. Life isn't easy. Living is easier with Jesus because you have hope. You have purpose. Hardship, however, isn't going to automatically disappear. Most people latch onto this, but some people don't. Some people want church to look like Joel Osteen's church; clean, well-dressed, HUGE.

I think if some dudes want to start a church, they need to make the transition from some dude to servitude (it rhymes, that's why it's cool). They need to prepare for the things they can prepare for (which are too numerous to list here). They need to get on the same page. Then they need to get out of the boat and live on faith.

How can a pastor teach people about faith without living it out himself? Part of faith is mystery and certainty in God beyond the conventional, worldly view of certainty that is based on the promises of fallen men. Pastors have accepted a calling which requires them to be role models in and teachers of what it means to be faithful.

People are looking up to CEOs, sports-stars, musicians, actors, and politicians; role models who are inherently incomplete and lead to a path that won't necessarily help find completeness. This is across racial boundaries. Stereotypically, persons of different races look up to different people, and this is just a barrier that needs to be addressed (prepared for), then broken down. Like I've said many many times, people want something to fight for, but they need to have an example of what that looks like. It looks like Jesus, and that is where the prepared, yet living by faith, pastor comes in. It is is that dude's job to live in servitude, faithfulness.

The tension is learning to be a prepared Boy Scout while walking on water.






I have posted a brief description of my trip so far from some dude to servitude in the comments section of this post.

-Matthew-F-Murphy-

5 comments:

Matt said...

My Trip From Some Dude to Servitude

In 2003, I was some dude. I was passionate about God. I was way jazzed to tell people about God. One Tuesday afternoon, I was reading Psalms and happened across Psalm 66, which opened me up. I felt it. I was the author (not literlly, obviously) in that I was praising God and calling people out to come see the fantastic things He had done. My friend Bryan had always tried to explain brokenness to me. I had understood, but hadn't. By the end of college, though, I knew that I had become broken, and in my brokenness, I found that instead of falling on old, Godless habits, I was searching for help in His Word. So, now I was not just some dude, but some dude with direction, passion.

In 2004, I met another dude with direction and passion that had heard his calling. At the time, he was working for Kaeser in FXBG, but he told me that in April of 2005, he was splitting and leaving for Cleveland. Matt Caton asked me to open my eyes and start listening to God instead of only asking God to listen to me. I thought I had been listening, but when I really listened, I heard a whisper about working in "vocational ministry." Church as a job.

Eventually, my hope for this started to decline as I searched for a door and found walls. In August of 2006, I got a job opportunity with a church in Virginia Beach. I went through the process of applying and found that I could fill the job, but I wasn't passionate about it. I felt others would be better for the job, and I felt that my skill set was broader than the job. Actually, the truth is I had never felt God speaking like He did that weekend. He made me strong throughout the weekend, but I had a sense of foreboding like I had never EVER felt in my entire life. I took this to mean that God would get me through this, but He wanted me to know that He had something else in mind.

I returned home and threw myself into CG. I got so involved that Kevin and Sean gave me an honorary title, Ministry Resident. I'm still involved like that, and I take part in decision making meetings and am a member of the church's Leadership Team. I'm pretty good at the things I do, and I find myself soaking up the Bible more than I ever have. I started to think that maybe God was saying, "This is what is yours. Tend to it and be blessed." My hopes that God would put me into a vocational ministry position started to wane, and though that is what I want(ed), I was fully prepared to obey God and tend to that which is mine.

It's like Gideon's army being shaved from 32,000 to 300. Less than 1% of the original. My hope had not been shaved down 99% (I'm only 26 years old), but it had decreased. My joy, my passion for Jesus and building His church and kingdom had not decreased, but my hope that I would be working (in the vocational sense) for a church had dramatically decreased.

It's funny how you see flaws as you think about things. It's funny the things you have to learn to be prepared for. It's funny how I am so impatient. I realized that I could have an impact for God and the American church without a paycheck. I was sitting at my computer working through some things for PCTC 2008, and I was making connections with other passionate people throughout the country. I was open to the Spirit. I realized that I would just have to be patient. I would have to serve God whole-heartedly with what I have, and I can't doubt that God will open a door to vocational ministry if that is what He has for me, which I am convinced of.

Seeing Momentum in July just solidified that more. Every time I visit a church, I absorb it. It becomes part of my collection of churches bouncing in my head. Every time I hang out with friends that share my passion (The Brungards, The McCarthys, The Catons, The Thornes, Jen Peterson, Bethany Ezell, Bryan and Rebekah Holt), I hear God a lot more clearly.

Will I be 27, 28, 30, 40, 50 when that door opens? I don't know. I've asked God to make it sooner than later, but the point is, I have to trust God to open it; once you're walking on the water, don't give up faith - just keep walking, reaching out for Jesus.

Thorne said...

I get intimidated or nervous about future stuff sometimes. Sometimes I try to ask God what He has around the corner. A few months ago, before my son was born, (He's born now! Welcome Caleb Rock Thorne!), I was nervous about future stuff. What did God have for me post Momentum. And how in the heck could I mentally prepare for having my first son? I felt anxious because as a man I wanted to take care of my family so that my wife could possibly stay at home, but I had no idea what the next step was.
So, I was anxious. At some point I felt God kind of lead me by saying, "I'm not going to tell you what's next." I kind of felt him say, "You're looking for an answer, but the answer is me." It seemed that was the point. The point was to know God better, not to find any particular answer. So, with that, I kind of chilled out with searching for a job post Momentum and tried to focus on preparing to have a kid. That was a big journey in itself.
As to where that puts me now- don't know. But, anyhoo....life is good and I think it's a cool journey. I'm sitting here, with my new son- and I'm watching UFC 75 on Spike t.v.- what could be better?

Thorne said...

I wanted to add in that I sometimes still get freaked out about what God has for Jess and I's future and still get intimidated about that. But, I do think it's been a cool journey that I never thought I'd be apart of.

Matt said...

Other than having my baby already, you echo my thoughts and journeys recently.

Sweet.

Matt said...

P.S. Your son looks awesome!