Thursday, July 19, 2007

tension

I tend to think that the best theology is that which is held in tension. That God is grace and justice. That God gives people freewill but somehow predestination works into the equation. How do we deal with the issue of making church “entertaining” and a “safe place” for those who don’t know God where they won’t be “weirded out”, but also allow those who know God to freely express their love for God? That Sunday morning will be a place where people can come to experience a real God who really can show up in ones life?

I love people who go to Charismatic churches for a few reasons, but the main one is this: they worship a real God that really can show up in people’s lives. They also tend to be passionate about prayer and it seems that passion for prayer can be linked to their strong belief that God can speak to them. I love that. It seems the only issue with this is that people who hate going to church can be weirded out by this.
It seems to me that churches like Momentum lean in the other direction, whether intentionally or unintentionally, where logic and purposeful thought reign supreme. Decisions are made by management teams and by “the bottom line,” more than being “led by the Spirit.” It can be more of a “business model,” where decisions are logical and one believes that the Spirit moves by logic and that God primarily gives the minister the gift and freedom to make decisions.
Dan Kimball, in his book Emerging Churches notes how an Asian guy was coming to America to take a tour of American churches to see how they were doing. His comment was that the American pastor was more like a businessman than a holy man. I found that very interesting and challenging. I have been trying to think how to react to that? Maybe he needed to change his definition of holy. Maybe he’s on to something and many newer churches don’t make enough room for the role of “pastor” to maintain meaning as a “holy man.” In the end I feel it is an unfair assessment that is not taking into consideration of our culture. But, I do feel he is touching on something that should challenge us.
I want to be sensitive to those who don’t know or understand Jesus and I do believe that God has given us the faculty of reason to make decisions. But, I also want to be reminded to listen to God, believe that a real God can really show up in a real way in life, and believe that God wants to speak to me and show me where He’s working around me so I can join Him.
I don’t want to be a business, I want the church to always be a spiritual entity. We may look the same on the outside as all Mo-looking churches, but I do want to always remember that we are being led by the Spirit of God. I never want to forget the spiritual aspect of being a pastor that differentiate me from Bob CEO down the street.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Can I just take a moment to say how much I love how you make up names for peoples' titles (i.e. Bob CEO)? Cause I do.

I share a lot of your feelings about the business-model of churching that seems to prevail and the aversion to the assumption that the Spirit is going to function in a logical way.

Here are some pluses of a church like Mo or CG as far as worshiping is concerned. A darkened room gives people the freedom to worship in their own way without fear, I think. It's not so dark that you can't see other people, but it is so dark that your eyes are drawn to the screen and not your neighbor who is throwing his/her hands up into the air in worship.

A plus of CG, that Jen Peterson noted, is the volume. We are loud. Far louder than Mo (at least when I was there). We try not to be excessively loud (though we do occasionally cross the line), but we are loud enough always that you can pretty much belt out the songs as loud as you want without the fear of your neighbors hearing how bad your voice is. It is very freeing...even I find myself singing and I am notoriously fearful of such things.

Matt said...

I also think that with a church plant it is important for a pastor to have a wider skill set, which by necessity involves an aspect of business.

I think that with proper planning though, a pastor at a church could be seen as a holy man.

This comes from a man (myself) who uses Brennan Manning/Erwin McManus type phrases like: "Unleash the untamed faith," and, "Pursue Christ With Recklessness and Trust in the Spirit." Then, this man (myself) turns around and talks business and thrives on numbers. Dude, I do long division for fun, and as much of a joke as that sounds...






...it's true.

897,128 divided by 467 is 1921.04475 by the way. I would have figured out more decimals, but I ran out of space on my paper.

Thorne said...

Good call. I guess that's where idealism and the real world meet. It's nice to think about how the pastor of a church can be a "holy man," but holy men don't balance and create budgets. In a young church I can see how a pastor, out of necessity must have a wider skill set. I'd like to read some Brennen Manning. Any recommendations?

Matt said...

I've only read Ragamuffin Gospel, and I've listened to a lot of things and read a lot of interviews. I need to read more of his books.