Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Diverse Jobs

Here's the deal. I'm looking for a job. Now, I've just finished reading Reconciliation Blues and want to be a part of the solution, not passively part of the problem. I want to be a part of a diverse church that is "outward" focused. So I get online and type my way to all the Christian Job websites. I begin looking for just such a church and run into a big problem. 90% of the churches on the websites are 100% white. The web page banners include all white people, the staff are made up of all white people, the photos of congregates are all white people. What am I supposed to do? How can I be a part of the solution when I can't find- even and all African-American church to apply to? I just find it frustrating.
This is an honest question: where are all the African-American churches, and where do they post jobs? Is there a network for predominantly African-American churches that I don't know about?

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Blondewyn said...

Hi there-

Wandered over here by way of Rebecca R's blog... a litle hello!- but perhaps a resource:

http://www.ame-church.com/directory/

I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for- but perhaps a place to start.

There's also this church in Richmond: http://www.firstafricanbaptist.org/

Blondewyn said...

And... I saw a news story on the armed forces' need for chaplains the other night. Thought about this post.

You'll never meet a more diverse group of people than those serving in the military. Not all chaplains get stationed in war zones or even abroad and you have an amazing and incredible opportunity to work with people of all colors and backgrounds... and it's not all single men either.

(I grew up an Air Force brat in base churches... it might be an awesome adventure)

rjr said...

come to denver where there are more diverse churches! :) the one i went to this past week is awesome...very intercultural and the head pastor is African-American.