Thursday, January 18, 2007

Are Young Black Men Leaving Church?

It is possible that the African-American church is dealing with the same issues as the white church?

check out a blurb from this article by Franklyn Richardson.


"Today we have a significant number of young people who've never been to worship services, who know nothing about the values and culture of the Black church. Most church members have been put off too easily by the fact that these youths speak a whole other language we sometimes find offensive, and they wear their caps backward and their pants low.

For the sake of our communities, we can't afford to have the young Black men and women in what's known as the hip-hop generation--as well as those coming up behind them--remain estranged from the church. We must reach out, ask them how they see the world, and listen carefully. What are their ideas? How do they think we can promote Christian values among them and others who may not find the church relevant? By coming together and finding a common language, we can translate the fundamental message of the Black church so that many more of today's youths can hear it."

3 comments:

Gemini2476 said...

I am a black American female; I was raised in church (Methodist). I had not really gone "religiously" (every Sunday) since I was a child, until last year. I went in between March and I would say October every Sunday and would watch my church's Tuesday service online. But there were too many unanswered questions for me. The bible has too many inconsistencies. It seems that Christians (especially those of the black race) are to superstitious, bigoted, and closed-minded. They don’t know fully what they believe. They in my experience have been ritualistic; just blindly and mindlessly follow what the preacher tells them. They seem to be so quick to point out everyone else’s “sins” but never really want to look at their own life. I am not saying all Christians regardless of race are like the above described, however, I am saying 80-95% of the ones I have met are. Also I just didn't believe everything that they believed and never have. I thought to go to church every Sunday would be a farce and lying to myself. So I have since been on a spiritual journey. I am now looking into Buddhism and Reformed Judaism to see which best is in line with my personal beliefs.

Gemini2476 said...

Oh and I wanted to further say that I in no way intend to malign or slander anyone or their faith. I am just truthfully being honest in how I feel and what I have experienced in where I am in my spiritual journey. I was raised christian but I am not christian. That religion just does not fall in line with what I believe to be true of the Creator of all. I feel honestly that Reformed Judaism does. The link below completely illustrates my personal beliefs which is why I am seeking it.
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/80/story_8054_1.html

Anonymous said...

Well said.